PMA member companies make payments to fund collectively bargained fringe benefits and other industry obligations. These assessments are governed by a formula that seeks to ensure that both vessel operators and stevedores pay fairly into the fund, with some companies paying based on hours paid to workers and others based on tons of cargo handled.
The current assessment system has served the industry for decades, and has enabled PMA members to provide unparalleled benefits to ILWU workers. Current assessment rates may be found in the links below.
- 2016/2017 Assessment Rates
- 2016/2017 Watchman's & Tool Voucher Assessment Rates
- 2015/2016 Assessment Rates
- 2015/2016 Watchman's Assessment Rates
- 2013/2014 Assessment Rates
- 2013/2014 Watchman's Assessment Rates
For more information on the history and calculation of assessments, please see pages 49 – 53 of the PMA Annual Report.